Re: [TCLUG:13873] Hostanmaes...

Do you know what is really funny about this topic?  The fact that we actually
spend time talking about it. ;-)  I remember getting all in a bunch when trying
to figure out a naming schema.  We finally settled on Star Wars characters and
places for our Rogers facility and Muppets characters for the Newnan facility.
That way we know simply by the name of the machine, where it's located.   I get
a kick out of people who try to build in information about the machine by its
names through some obscure acronyms and abbreviations.  WSNT01-ROJ...  What the
hell does that mean?  (Windows NT workstations #1 at Rogers).  Better is
'Crumb,'  or 'Doughnut.'

Let your employees pick their computer names, but give them a theme.  Make all
your workstations named around one theme, your servers another.  You'll have
the recognition of what the machine is by it's name if you stick to that simple
rule.  But if you try to build in a reference to the functionality of the
computer by it's name, you're bound to changing a lot of computer names in the
future.  Unless a workstation becomes a server, you'll never have to change the
name of it if the workstation gets handed from one employee to another with a
different function in the work place.

Plus, it's a hell of a lot more fun to say, "Ms. Piggy just got her bacon
fried" rather than, "WSNT01-ROJ just bluescreened."

(I named all of my Linux servers after StarWars heros and the NT servers after
villians.)

^chewie