Re: [TCLUG:13828] cheap networking hardware

Wanna talk about old school.  In my chem lab back in kansas we had a nova
300 from data general.  4k of memory, a 16bit processor built of seperate
chips on a 16 by 16 inch board.  I think it had a 32kb removable disk and
with a 1 meg fixed disk. Data entry was done through a thermal tape
typewriter or by flipping a series of switches on the front.  O yea you
had to boot from fiber tape, essentially punch cards on a roll.  The thing
had died, the hd crashed a couple of years earlier.  We wanted to get rid
of it but modifications to the building made it impossible to move out of
the lab.  We learned that the hard way, we got it stuck in the door way
for a week. I was essentially fired by the old coot that ran the lab
because I couldn't fix it. Never move a computer larger than all your
major appliences combined!

Colin Kilbane