Re: [TCLUG:14011] [rant] pdf on the web

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

> >Me, I like 'em. PDF is an open spec and is a great way to pass around
> >printables. xpdf and Ghostview work goodly, and are free.
>         for *printable* stuff it's fine and dandy. but it's a piss-poor
> replacement for HTML, for reasons I outlined before.

Well, I have nothing against *.pdf in and of itself -- sometimes I kind of
like that I have some "Ebooks".  I have a GIMP one that's way handy to
use.

BUT -- I do agree with you.  The person that thought that putting a pdf
site on the web missed the whole idea of HTML in the first place.  I'd
even go so far as to say that I have a constant background peeve process
running all the time with lots of *graphics* on the web (not to mention
audio, video, chat, etc...)

For a document with lots of figures, like a complicated mechanical parts
menu, it might be an efficient way to let someone download and view a doc,
but you sure don't need it for a price list.

> sorry. bad engineering really pisses me off...

I hear you.  In this consumer electronics age, what keeps you from killing
small animals in your backyard weeknights?<g>

Phil M

--
Life is complex:
It has real and imaginary components.