Re: [TCLUG:14077] IDE tweaking for Linux

On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 at 03:56:56PM -0600, Karl Morgan wrote:
> Not sure if this will help you or not. I got about 40% increase
> in performance from this info.
>
> http://tunelinux.com/bin/page?hardware/ide/

	Thanks!  I actually did an extensive grep through the HOWTO's
and found info on hdparm, but this is an excellent site to know about.
:-)

	Do you think a test that creates 3 64 megabytes files that
should be identical and compares them against one another to be an
adequate test?

	The process that creates the first file does a lot of random
seeks and reading and writing of 8M chunks of that file.  The process
that makes the copies does it linearly using mmap for reading and either
the 'write' call for writing 8M chunks, or mmap.

	I should probablly just use the hand-seeded random file
generator to generate several different files that should be identical
and test to see if they are.

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
Its name is Public Opinion.  It is held in reverence. It settles everything.
Some think it is the voice of God.  Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet

PGP signature