Re: [TCLUG:11867] 3Dfx setup

Dave Sherohman wrote:

> Last weekend I swung by the Electronics Boutique on the first floor of
> MegaDale and was quite happy to find a half dozen Linux games on the shelf.
> (Yes, that's a plug for them.  They're the only place in town that carries
> Linux games and I want them to receive financial encouragement to continue
> doing so.)
> came up:  I can run the test3dfx program just fine as root, but as a normal
> user, it segfaults.

Did you install dev3dfx?

> The main problem, though, is that all three games are compiled against
> libglide2x.so and linux.3dfx.com is currently only carrying libglide3x.so
> packages.  Symlinking libglide2x.so to libglide3x.so doesn't work
> ("undefined symbol: grSstControl).  I've found libglide2x.so-containing
> packages at debian.org, but they refuse to recognize my Voodoo2 Black Magic
> card.

Dunno...

> And, finally, Quake2 doesn't even get to the point of trying to load the
> glide library.  It dies with a complaint of "Error: Couldn't load
> pics/colormap.pcx"...  I guess the non-RPM install option for Colossus
> doesn't work that well.

Nuke any OpenGL/MesaGL libraries anything may come with. Get the latest
source and compile it yourself. You'll need the Glide SDK installed to
compile Mesa for glide, of course...

Something I'll have to look into... (I have an nvidia TNT2 myself...)

http://glx.on.openprojects.net/