3Dfx setup

Last weekend I swung by the Electronics Boutique on the first floor of
MegaDale and was quite happy to find a half dozen Linux games on the shelf.
(Yes, that's a plug for them.  They're the only place in town that carries
Linux games and I want them to receive financial encouragement to continue
doing so.)

I picked up Myth2, Heretic2, and the Quake2 Colossus pack.  I have yet to get
a single one of them running...

I've downloaded the driver packages from linux.3dfx.com, converted them to
debs (I run Debian Potato), and installed them.  Which is where problem 1
came up:  I can run the test3dfx program just fine as root, but as a normal
user, it segfaults.

The main problem, though, is that all three games are compiled against
libglide2x.so and linux.3dfx.com is currently only carrying libglide3x.so
packages.  Symlinking libglide2x.so to libglide3x.so doesn't work
("undefined symbol: grSstControl).  I've found libglide2x.so-containing
packages at debian.org, but they refuse to recognize my Voodoo2 Black Magic
card.

And, finally, Quake2 doesn't even get to the point of trying to load the
glide library.  It dies with a complaint of "Error: Couldn't load
pics/colormap.pcx"...  I guess the non-RPM install option for Colossus
doesn't work that well.

I can probably work around the Quake problem easily enough, but doesn anyone
have suggestions for the 3Dfx and Glide problems?

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K
w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+