Re: [TCLUG:12074] [OFF] Quick Java Question..

On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 03:06:58PM -0600, Mike Hicks wrote:
> >         I thought that Java 1.1 was a brand new think in Netscape 4.5.
> > I didn't realize that they'd already jumped to Java 2.  Netscape's
> > instability makes applets pointless anyway.  The last thing I want to do
> > is make my customer's browser crash.
>
> Heh, Netscape hasn't done Java right on my computer for a long time. For
> some reason, Netscape will die whenever it comes across an applet if I
> have a second JVM installed on the box (Like Blackdown's JDK or Kaffe or
> something..)
>
> I've never figured out why, though.  Regardless, most Java applets I
> come across are badly written and try to use 100% cpu time to display a
> static image..

Make sure you have MOZILLA_HOME set to the right place and only have the basic
classes in your CLASSPATH environment variable.  A common problem is to have
too much stuff in the CLASSPATH that is used by Netscape.   The only java
problem I've had with netscape, is that it reloads the page whenever you
resize the frame, which causes the applet to restart which is usually what I
don't want.  Believe it or not IE actually does that part right.

--
Jon Schewe
schewe@tcfreenet.org