Re: [TCLUG:12074] [OFF] Quick Java Question..

"Eric M. Hopper" wrote:

>         I won't use Sun's JVM on principle.  If they want to have Java
> be considered a standard, there needs to be at least two interoperating
> implementations, and at least one of those has to be Open Source.  Since
> Sun doesn't seem interested in this definition of 'standard', I consider
> it my obligation to use a JVM other than Sun's until they change their
> mind.

I would love to be able to take that position also.  I was not impressed
with the sh*t Sun pulled on Blackdown, despite Sun's apology.  Blackdown
has supported Linux for a number of years when Sun could care less and
now that Linux has become 'hot', Sun has become interested.  Having said
that however, I cannot afford my time or that of my clients to fight
problems with the Blackdown port that may not exist in the Sun/Inprise
port.  The reason I say this is because Steve Byrne has stated that
Blackdown has had difficulties in getting the bug fixes out of Sun.
Just like Microsoft, Sun has the ability to 'choke off Blackdown's air
supply' through refusing to pass along bug fixes.

--
Perry Hoekstra
Consultant