Re: [TCLUG:12350] Color Question

Hey, Perry!  I didn't know you were on this list!  (I used to work with Perry,
all - very cool!)

Actually, your resolution is very different from your color depth.

Resolution: How much "space" you have on your screen.  The higher the depth,
the more
detail that can be stuffed on your screen.

Color Depth: How many colors programs have access to.  If you have 256 (8-bit)
colors, it's, well,
256 (two programs can't be using the same color at the same time, either.)
16-bit is some
65 thousand colors.  24/32-bit is 16.4 million colors.  You can change how many
colors
X windows uses in two ways.  One, you can do startx -bpp <number>.  Two, you
can look
in your XF86Config (usually /etc/XF86Config) for the line DefaultColorDepth
<number>.

Change that to DefaultColorDepth 32, and then work your way down to 24 or 16 if
your
video card can't support it.  If it doesn't exist, add that line under the
"Screen" section.

Nick Reinking