Re: [TCLUG:12398] Harddrive probs... ;-)

^chewie wrote:

> > If I boot the drive in a newer machine LILO works fine and the machine
> > boots.  How can I solve this problem?
>
> I've had this happen before as well, when I moved my harddrive from an old
> 486 to a "new" Pent 166.  I had set the BIOS harddrive type to LBA on the
> Pent, whereas the 486 was set up as CHS.  I would only get as far as "LI"
> and then it would hang.  When I changed the drive type back to CHS, or
> "normal", it worked just fine.

Different machines map sectors differently, yes. Especially across
generations. (486-Pentium)  Boot off a floppy and reinstall LILO, if
that doesn't work you'll probably have to backup, nuke the drive and
start over. :P

Or just leave it at CHS, it makes no difference to Linux. Just LILO,
because it uses the BIOS for disk accesses...