Re: [TCLUG:12423] CD writing software....

On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 11:41:04PM -0600, Timothy Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Gabe Turner wrote:
>
> > I just got a new CDR today (a PLextor PlexWriter 8 write/20 read), and I was just
> > wondering what you guys suggest for making/burning images.  Sure I could go the
> > mkisofs/cdrecord route, but it's nice to have a front-end (call me lazy).  I've
> > used Xcdroast, and it works fine, but it seems pretty clunky.  I've also used
> > gcombust, but the version i used didn't seem to be able to create images.  TIA!
>
> CDR-toaster works well for me. The UI is horrible (the author uses cutsie
> labels on the buttons), but I've gotten reliable burns with it.

If you want to burn anything other than pure type1 data discs, take a look at
cdrdao (http://www.ping.de/sites/daneb/download.html) which does regular type1
CD-ROMs, disc-at-once audio discs (all flags changeable -- this is the only
way to burn discs with the copy-OK flag set, or pre-emphasis set), as well as
copying any disc under the sun which doesn't use copy protection.  (Use this
if the disc is a CD-XA type2 disc, and maybe even a CD-Extra disc, though I
haven't tried this as my writer doesn't seem capable of burning them.)
I believe it also supports CD-Text, but again I haven't tested this because
my writer doesn't support that feature.

It will also write .bin/.cue images created in Windoze.  I've been using it
as my sole CD writing util for several months now, with no problems.  (There
is also some sort of front end -- Xcdrdao -- included with it, which I also
haven't tried.)

One thing that this program could do, in theory, is burn a 4-channel disc.
It'd be an interesting test...  All it would take is a program to interleave
two PCM audio streams together (take two bytes from one file for the front
channels, and two bytes from another file for the rear channels.  Continue
until the entirety of both files has been read) and burn the resulting
file with the 4 channel flag set.  Non-4-channel CD players should play the
front channels only.  I wonder if any car CD players support 4-channel audio?
It'd be an interesting experiment...

	David

--
David Carter ** dcarter@visi.com