Re: [TCLUG:12613] Reasons not to use Apache?

Eric M. Hopper said:
> 	Silly boss.  Someone should run a packet sniffer on your network
> and capture all of his passwords and start using his account to say
> interesting things in forums he wouldn't want to be caught frequenting.
> I bet his attitude would change pretty quickly then.

No, he considers the primary relistic threat to be a trusted user of 'his'
network who shouldn't have been trusted.  If someone were to do that, he
would recognize that he made an error in allowing the person running the
sniffer access to the network.  So long as he does his job correctly and only
hires trustworthy people, encryption is just a waste of CPU cycles.
(Granted, he does admit that the 'just don't hire non-trustworthy people'
plan breaks down once you're sending stuff over the internet, but I get the
distinct impression that he's going to need proof of an actual threat before
he's willing to do anything about real security.)

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K
w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+