Re: [TCLUG:12691] Connection speed

You can drop your internet connection, open up minicom and dial your
ISP's phone number, then check the speed:

(This is what you'd do in minicom):
AT&F1  <-- Init String for your modem, really long)
OK
ATDT6122522600 <-- Type the phone number of your ISP - this is ours
CONNECT 26400  <-- It should report the connect speed.  If not, do this:

+++  <--- +++ will tell the modem to listen for more AT commands
ATI1
ATI2
ATI3
ATI8
(these ATI commands will give different settings for your modem -
connect speed, reason for last disconnect, etc.  Very useful in
debugging).

If you aren't getting 56k speeds to your ISP, try using the 3com line
test tool.  If you go to their site and search for "line test" you'll
find it.  You dial their BBS (long distance) with minicom, and it will
test your line/modem for 56k.