Re: [TCLUG:12760] WP 8 and printing

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

> >Is anyone else having trouble printing from WP 8?  My printer settings for
> >lpr seem to be correct, as I can print anything else using 'lpr <file>'
> >but when I attempt to print from WP the file just sits in the queue and
> >never actually prints.
>         I had a problem like I think you're describing, some time ago. the
> file is sent to be printed, but just stays in the queue.
>         it turns out the problem was a lack of a line feed at the end of the
> file. there's a line of sed code in the RedHat print filter that does
> CR->CR/LF conversion; and if you replace it with a line of awk, it works fine.

It turns out that the specific problem I was describing was my own stupidity:
I had just recompiled my kernel and apparently lpr didn't like the fact that
the parallel port was compiled as a module.  I recompiled it into the kernel
and they no longer hung in the queue.  However, when they DID print, they came
out as random characters, one or two per line.  Since my Canon BJC 4300 does
not have a native driver, I had set up lpr to use ghostscript.  The Corel
website suggested using one of the 'generic postscript' printers, which don't
seem to exist.  I just chose one with 'ps' in the driver file name
(specifically, one of the Apple printers...) and it seems to be working
tolerably well, now.

Thanks for the suggestions, though...

Ben
--
Time is an illusion.  Lunchtime doubly so.
		--- Ford Prefect