Re: [TCLUG:12912] SCSI advice

I disagree - I think the K6-III is a great low end server CPU.  400MHz
with 256KB of full speed L2 cache may not seem like much in the day
of hulking brutes of CPUs like the Athlon, but it still holds it's own for any
non FPU intensive stuff.  I'm guessing that a lot of the servers out there
today are not hurting for CPU, but are hurting for good I/O.  With SCSI,
all the I/O is basically on the card anyways.

I'd say save the bucks on the CPU, get some good memory, and a U2W
or a UW SCSI card and some speed IBM hard drives.

Nick Reinking

natecars@real-time.com, on 01/26/2000 05:35:07 PM