Re: [TCLUG:12912] SCSI advice

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Nate Carlson wrote:

> If you want a reliable, fast, server, why are you buying a cheap cpu?

Indeed; why are we talking about commodity hardware at all?

I was speaking in relative terms. The AMDs are reliable (in my
experience), and speed is a red herring since no recent CPU is ever
anything other than bored. There is not enough parallelism in a PC's
architecture to keep a fast CPU amused. But you've already heard this from
me.

> Makes no sense to me.. personally, I'd go with a cheaper (eg, $150) Mylex
> controller (especially since they OFFICIALLY support Linux.. I have yet to
> see an adaptec controller that lists "Linux" as a supported OS on the
> box), and a better CPU.

Yes, I bought Mylex for myself for the same reason. This was before
Adaptec had given out specs for their cards and they were kind of hostile
to free software developers (iirc).

--
Christopher Reid Palmer : http://www.innerfireworks.com/