Re: [TCLUG:12912] SCSI advice

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 05:44:05PM -0600, Christopher Reid Palmer wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Nate Carlson wrote:
>
> > If you want a reliable, fast, server, why are you buying a cheap cpu?
>
> Indeed; why are we talking about commodity hardware at all?
>
> I was speaking in relative terms. The AMDs are reliable (in my
> experience), and speed is a red herring since no recent CPU is ever
> anything other than bored. There is not enough parallelism in a PC's
> architecture to keep a fast CPU amused. But you've already heard this
> from me.

	Well, that depends.  If it's largely going to be a web or
database server, then, perhaps, the I/O bandwidth to disk is going to be
important.  I don't know if he said why he wanted SCSI.

	I might put SCSI on my workstation simply because I want better
IO bandwidth, but not necessarily want to put in an Adaptec controller
because, really, I mostly play Quake, and the CPU speed is actually lots
more important.

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
Its name is Public Opinion.  It is held in reverence. It settles everything.
Some think it is the voice of God.  Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet

PGP signature