Re: [TCLUG:12912] SCSI advice

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Christopher Reid Palmer wrote:
> I always advise people, when they ask, to skimp on CPU and spend more on
> storage. If your CPU costs just ~$70 (AMD K6-3 400), you can spend some
> more on good SCSI. So, yes, it is. The Adaptec is a rippin' good card.
>
> This is assuming you want a reliable, fast workstation or server. If you
> want a non-critical appliance (games, Web, email, Word), no sense using
> your money on SCSI.

If you want a reliable, fast, server, why are you buying a cheap cpu?
Makes no sense to me.. personally, I'd go with a cheaper (eg, $150) Mylex
controller (especially since they OFFICIALLY support Linux.. I have yet to
see an adaptec controller that lists "Linux" as a supported OS on the
box), and a better CPU.

--
Nate Carlson <carlson@real-time.com>    | Phone : (612)943-8700