RE: [TCLUG:12929] Let's hear it for Domino Server!

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000 Nick.T.Reinking@supervalu.com wrote:

> Lotus Notes is *not* an e-mail client.
> Lotus Notes is *not* a calendaring service.
> Lotus Notes is *not* a web browser.
> Lotus Notes is *not* a database.

<snip, snip, snip>

>So.  Notes can be cool, it just depends on the people behind the wheel.

That's probably the nub of ANY organizer solution, be it a Lotus, MS
Exchange or Linux/XWindows based.  If it's poorly put together, it's going
to suck like a tornado vacuum plugged into a high voltage outlet.

I think that Lotus/IBM is desperately trying to catch up to Outlook with the
front end nifty-ness of Outlook, and in the process cutting back a little on
their back end development.  I've spent many a year in cc:Mail, and it
worked ok, but certainly anywhere near as well as Outlook - plus it's a pain
to write code for if you're not a C programmer.

I'm looking forward to see what comes out of the Gnome/KDE/etc community as
far as a well-integrated email, calendaring client.  That'll be where a
great multi-service program will come from...IMHO.

A side note - I still don't understand why anyone would want to bundle a web
browser into a email/calendar program... I think it's classic feature creep.

- Nick