Re: [TCLUG:12929] Let's hear it for Domino Server!

Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

> >It's fairly stable, unless you go digging through the preferences like
> >crazy like I do (I need to change the font! ;-)  The speed still leaves
> >something to be desired, and there are plenty of bugs, but it's moving
> >along (it's _much_ faster these days than what it was just a few months
> >ago).
>         What did they do to speed it up? I'm clueless about optimizing code
> for speed...

I don't know exactly what they did (I'm not a Mozilla developer or
anything, just an interested outsider..), but there are lots of things
they could have done..

There has been a lot of debugging code in Mozilla, and that gets slowly
stripped down as different pieces of the beast are made more stable.
Also, Mozilla is either multithreaded, or gives the impression of being
multithreaded.  I'm sure there are plenty of optimizations that can be
done with regard to the timing of different events.

One thing that comes to mind is that at one stage, Mozilla would load
each image on a website individually, one at a time.  This ended up
being really bad on certain web sites that re-use a small image for
properly formatting text, for instance.  At a later stage, Mozilla would
try to load multiple images at the same time, but the organization of
drawing the images seemed to be badly timed.  The browser seemed to hang
as it figured out which action to take next..  (I should note that this
is just what I think was going on..  I don't know a whole lot about the
underlying code.)

>         would it be possible to build some sort of "shim" libraries that
> would allow you to compile it against GTK? (or QT, or Lesstif, or whatever
> your preferred widget set is.)
>         better question, is it reasonable to do so? (not that
> unreasonableness has stopped people in the past... look at Linux itself. ;> ).

I imagine it would be possible.  However, in many cases like this (like
making standardized interfaces for databases, for instance), you run
into the problem of supporting the lowest common denominator.  Also,
speed can be damaged greatly..

> >Anyway, you can download the most recent nightly build from
> >ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/nightly/latest/ and test it out
> >yourself.
>         I think I'll just stick with the stable binaries like they recommend...

Just after I wrote that last message, I found out that Mozilla just
released their Milestone 13 builds.  That would supposedly be a more
'stable' version.

http://linuxtoday.com/stories/15776.html

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Corrupt REALITY.SYS: