Re: [TCLUG:13004] AP Comp. Sci.

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Eric M. Hopper wrote:

<lots of stuff cut off at the knees>

> 	I can't believe the amount of C++ FUD in the Linux community.
> And I can't imagine why it's there.  Every time I mention C++ on
> Slashdot I get about 5-10 flamers telling what an idiot I am for even
> mentioning the language.  It's ridiculous.

From my experience, there are a couple of reasons for the C++ FUD in the
Linux community.  Firstly, the kernel, libraries, etc. are written in C,
and at times the C++ interface is not as up to date as the C
interface.  Another reason is that C++ does not support some idioms well,
for example in C filehandles stay open across threads / children, while in
C++ (unless I am missing something), iostreams do not.  And all of the
nice C++ features still come at a price, especially the higher level
abstractions such as strings, STL container classes, etc.  This is not a
dig on the language, but rather on the maturity of the C++ compiler
implementation in gcc, which still has a way to go, but there is a
measurable difference in C and C++ size and speed of compiled code across
platforms, so it is not just gcc.

/. FUDDers are quite another issue, I no longer read /. comments because
of the flaming weenies and moderators.

-Chris