Re: [TCLUG:13095] Aureal's Soundcard Drivers

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Andrew S. Zbikowski wrote:

> Anyone gotten Aureal's sound card drivers to work yet? I figured I could
> afford to drop $50 on a card w/ Optical S/PDIF as long as it was
> somewhat supported under linux. So far the drivers compiled and plugged
> into the kernel just fine, but I get no sound, and lots of these errors:

Ummm... I haven't seen THOSE errors.  The most common problem most people
have had with them is that they didn't have soundcore.o available as a
module.  That did it for me.

You get that by compiling support for OSS sound cards as a module.  You
don't actually need to select any OSS cards, just the basic support.

So far, Aureal has not been providing any feedback from their bug reports
database.  I'm hoping they get a new beta out soon, 'cause there are
several problems with the existing drivers.  One that seems to be rather
common is using them when the system is under heavy load can cause a
complete lockup.  I mean a complete "flip the switch and wait through the
freaking fsck" lockup.

Ben

--
"There is no spoon"