Re: [TCLUG:19672] VALinux vs Compaq

I'd select neither, unless this is a very large server.  I personaly don't
see much reason to go with VALinux, they make generic systems, nothing
really special, they use intel motherboards last i checked, which is fine
and tested, your boss is pulling shit out of his ass frankly.. the
hardware is fine, the company is going through growing pains, so there may
be some stability problems.  if you understand hardware, they are a tier
three seller, they really don't do much in the development as far as
hardware goes.. compaq is i tier 1 seller, they make some of the chips
involved in their high end servers.. the "crossbar switch" stuff is really
cool, but also makes their hardware damn expensive, and totaly
propretary.  personaly, I go with dell for that kind of server, they are
tier 2, they make the motherboards, they support linux (i have bought 2
pre-installed poweredge linux systems, nicely setup), and they have good
service.  unless your boss has a problem with dell.. go with them..

Thank You,
        Ben Kochie (ben@nerp.net)