Apache home directory access problems

Greetings,

I have Apache 1.3.11 (with php 3.0.14 and modperl 1.?) on a machine at
home and my home directory  (~/public_html) shows up fine, as do most of
it's subdirectories. Newly created subdirectories get "access denied"
errors, even though the permissions are set correctly (755 for the
directory (and parents), 644 for the files). This problem survives a
restart of apache, and if I am not mistaken, I have rebooted the machine
since the problem started occurring (though neither should matter). This
isn't a pressing problem, but it would be nice to make it go away. Has
anyone seen this sort of thing?

--
Troy Johnson       john1536@tc.umn.edu       http://umn.edu/~john1536/
Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic