Re: [SCALUG] Apache home directory access problems

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Troy Johnson wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have Apache 1.3.11 (with php 3.0.14 and modperl 1.?) on a machine at
> home and my home directory  (~/public_html) shows up fine, as do most of
> it's subdirectories. Newly created subdirectories get "access denied"
> errors, even though the permissions are set correctly (755 for the
> directory (and parents), 644 for the files). This problem survives a
> restart of apache, and if I am not mistaken, I have rebooted the machine
> since the problem started occurring (though neither should matter). This
> isn't a pressing problem, but it would be nice to make it go away. Has
> anyone seen this sort of thing?

Just a couple of quick troubleshooting questions....

When you do a http://server/~username - do you get an index.htm page or a
directory listing?

Is the directory listing what you are after?

Or if you put an index.html in one of the non-working subdirectories does
it start to work?

Are the subdirectories symbolic links to other directories
outside the htdocs tree?

In the /etc/httpd/conf directory there are several config
files...  srm.conf contains the UserDir directive that translates
"/~user" requests to users' web documents directory.

"access.conf" contains several "Directory" statements that may need to be
adjusted depending on where and how the directories are laid out.  For
example, if the users' web document contains a symbolic link, you may need
to add a statement to allow apache to follow symbolic links.

;  The real trouble with reality is       ;  Chris Zwilling
;  that there is no background music.     ;  chris@nukequarters.com