Re: [TCLUG:18657] RoadRunner service?

* Jon Schewe <jpschewe@eggplant.mtu.net> [000607 20:09]:
> I'm looking for what people think of RoadRunner's service?  Currently I have

Im in maple grove.  Currently no problems.  I get three IP's via DHCP
that dhcpcd grok just fine.  Max latency when fully pegged with a ping
-f is two seconds.  usual latency is about 10ms-30ms.  I find that its
been less latent than a USWest DSL line.  (dude. they route those right
after the co on their network, scary)  No extended downtime.  Sometimes
a router pukes, but its usually fixed within seconds, nothing long
enough to kill a connection.  I dont run services on this machine
generally because I have a colocated box for those purposes.  Many xDSL
isp's want extra money for this, as I find that a *good* thing.  Service
providing hosts have different bandwidth usage profiles and generally
cost an ISP more.  Would you like to be paying more/month to fund the
porn server down the street?

Mediaone also has private networks to mae-east/mae-west via roadrunner
links (for now).  who knows if those will be around much longer though.
They also have a link to onvoy and CW.  The rr link also goes to kansas
I believe.

If they get on the AT&T network, i dont know what will be the major
peering points.

In all, mediaone's roadrunner service is an excellent value for the
bandwidth provided.  I get some sites reaching 1.8MBps-2MBps, whereas on
most DSL lines you get 256kbit-512kbit.

I'll be on time warner roadrunner next month in saint louis park, wish me luck.

--
Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org> #nicnac@efnet
http://www.ringworld.org/  finger:dieman@destiny.ringworld.org

Wait. Watch. Wonder.