debian: running init scripts from cron

Hello,

I'm sure this is quite the Debian rookie question, but is there some
trick to getting an init script to run from cron?  I'm running a radius
server that needs restarted when the users file is modified, and just
rerunning the init script from cron worked fine under Mandrake but fails
under Debian.  I get the messages from the /etc/init.d/radiusd script
that radiusd has been restarted, but the pid on the process has not
changed, so I know it wasn't actually done.  Running the script manually
from root works fine.

Am I missing some security related thing here?  Let me know if I should
post more detail.  Thanks.

--
John Hawley
Network Administrator