...And now for my next trick...

Well, considering the fact that a Linux box I set up would have no one
to administrate it, I'll just let the company buy the MS Exchange
servers...  It's their money, not mine, and I don't have an alternative
that would be simple enough for them to try..

Now, for my next question--Does anyone know about viruses and Unix?
Apparently, there is a virus running rampant on an SGI DM Series box
running an ancient version of IRIX (4.x, I think..) where I work...

The person there who (sorta) admins that system has knowledge restricted
to basically running 'top,' 'osview,' and some other relatively simple
utilities..

Anyway, the system traditionally gets system loads of 11-14, with a load
of 23 this morning (type 'ls,' wait ten seconds, get the list) when the
admin was running about 10 'find' processes in a script that would
delete some of the files that this virus was laying all over the
place...

CPU power isn't a problem, as it has 4.  3 of them could be turned off,
and the 4th turned to half power, and the system would still run at the
same speed..  It is apparently maxing out the Ultra-SCSI controller that
is connected to a RAID bank.  (the DM has 3 or 4 fiber-optic FDDI
connections to the network, plus at least one Ethernet connection..)

Sorry I'm giving all the specs, but it's strangely hilarious, IMHO.. :)

Anyway, back to the virus--it leaves files named DZLDB or something like
that laying all over the place, plus it creates start-up scripts, so it
will get initiated when the system reboots (apparently..)

If you happen to know the correct way to fight this virus, I'd
appreciate it..  Also, if you have a good (hopefully inexpensive,
relatively speaking) way of getting this system to have better
performance, I'd like to hear about it..

Thanks,

Mike Hicks
--
Linux: Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste