Printing problem

Running redhat 4.2 and have had this problem for a while but it's really
getting on my nerves now.

I setup HP laserjet 4L under redhat's printtool (via control-panel).
Can print postscript just fine; things like "man -t blah | lpr" worked
great.  But printing plain text is troublesome.  Seems the 1st line of
every page gets cut off.  I tried adjusting top/bottom margins via
printtool to no avail.  Also no word wrap for lines > 80 cols.  This
happens when printing from emacs (print-buffer) as well as from command
line (lpr filename).  Also, I get a blank page every other page.   I'm
assuming this is a form feed but I tried disabling that and it didn't
fix it.

In the meantime I setup print filters by hand; these work ok but only
for text.  Now my postscript stuff just prints as text (ie, I see all
the postscript commands instead of the formatted text).

Any one else have these problems?  This is really annoying.

--
Scot W. Jenkins <swjenkins@ibm.net>
Key fingerprint = 82 20 A8 4E 46 82 CE D4  F6 77 58 59 46 92 28 26