Vanilla Clients Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-CLIENTS:104] netrek developer newbie

> Second, I'm developing a Win-only version of Netrek, using MFC and OpenGL.
> (MFC for convenience, OpenGL for nifty features, like zooming the local

I'm doing work on a "new" client as well but using MFC and DirectX, its
going to be a complete rewrite, and is based off the Netrek1999 code
(release 3 now 4 I suppose).

You can see the plans at http://members.tripod.com/~lcrawfo/

Currently I haven't done a lot of work, still exploring Direct3D and getting
the modeling to work.  That and reading though the existing source code...
which as you pointed out is a joy to browse though.

I'm not interested in doing work with OpenGL at this time though... this
little project is my excuse to learn all I can about DirectX and 3D
modeling.

Your first step should be to get the source code and get it to compile
without the RSA key stuff, get an unblessed client running.  There are a few
servers out there you can test on.

I'm still having fun trying to get the Netrek1999 source to compile and run
without RSA enabled.  It barfs looking for some RSA files... but that's
another story that I need to work on later when I'm not at work.

Lee was here (avoiding work)
aka
Crommie