Ascend Archive

Re: (ASCEND) Quake/QW and Pipeline 75 and NAT

James Fischer wrote:

>         Jason Eggleston wrote:
>
> >Ascend probably makes more money than other router companies on the
> >Quake issue.  Ascend routers run quake just fine when no address
> >translation is used.  Ascend's multi-ip address NAT mode works great
> >too.  What more can other router companies offer?  Quake doesn't work on
> >any single-ip address based proxy.
>
>         What I was pointing out was that the question posed by
>         Jake Messinger was not the correct question to ask in
>         this sort of situation.  His remark was:

I think you've missed my point here.  Ascend routers don't need a Quake
workaround... they already have an "edge" over other routers.  Why would
Ascend dump more money into the issue?

>                 Yah right, Like Ascend is going to add a
>                 "quake specific" feature. How much revenue
>                 do you think they make just on quake players?
>
>         My point is that there are LOTS of brain-damaged, non
>         RFC-compliant, quirky piles of very poorly written
>         software out there.  Most can be ignored as "broken".
>         There are SOME that qualify as "killer apps", and
>         Quake is a good example.

I agree that Quake is a "killer app", but Ascend already has an
advantage for Quake players, and it doesn't envolve molesting the UDP
data.

>         Quake (and other net games) are good for business.  They
>         clearly differentiate the garage operations from the mil-spec
>         operations, so gaming is where a well-equipped ISP shines.
>
>         Quake (all by itself) likely "sells" quite a few ISDN modems.
>         Ascend sells such devices.

I don't think Quake sells a lot of P75s or P50s.  It sells many more
ISDN "cards", I'm sure.  In those cases, the dialup user gets an IP
address from a pool, and there is no problem.

In the LAN case, Ascend does a better job of supporting Quake than other
companies... so what's the problem?

>         The full solution to the problem is left to the reader, and
>         should be obvious even to the casual observer.

Careful here :)  You imply that Ascend should spend money developing a
Quake single IP NAT hack.  A simple cost-benefit analysis would show
that the Ascend products are superior to other products as far as NAT
and Quake are concerned, thus people who care already have a reason to
buy an Ascend router over another's.  What additional people would be
convinced to buy Ascend if they developed a single-ip NAT hack for
Quake?  Probably next to no one.

--
Jason Eggleston
SysAdmin, Jet.Net Inc.