Ascend Archive

Re: (ASCEND) Quake/QW and Pipeline 75 and NAT

        Jason Eggleston wrote:

>Ascend probably makes more money than other router companies on the
>Quake issue.  Ascend routers run quake just fine when no address
>translation is used.  Ascend's multi-ip address NAT mode works great
>too.  What more can other router companies offer?  Quake doesn't work on
>any single-ip address based proxy.

        What I was pointing out was that the question posed by
        Jake Messinger was not the correct question to ask in
        this sort of situation.  His remark was:

                Yah right, Like Ascend is going to add a
                "quake specific" feature. How much revenue
                do you think they make just on quake players?

        My point is that there are LOTS of brain-damaged, non
        RFC-compliant, quirky piles of very poorly written
        software out there.  Most can be ignored as "broken".
        There are SOME that qualify as "killer apps", and
        Quake is a good example.

        Quake (and other net games) are good for business.  They
        clearly differentiate the garage operations from the mil-spec
        operations, so gaming is where a well-equipped ISP shines.

        Quake (all by itself) likely "sells" quite a few ISDN modems.
        Ascend sells such devices.

        The full solution to the problem is left to the reader, and
        should be obvious even to the casual observer.

           Even the Secretary General of the UN is 65% water.

james fischer                                jfischer@supercollider.com