(ASCEND) Win NT SAM Auth for dial-in users to a Max4K.

Hi,
Has anybody tried to get Windows NT's Secure Access Manager (rather than Radius) to authenticate dial-in users to Max 4000? Any idea(s) how this can be done (if possible in the first place)?
We need to grant dial-in access to our (private) LAN without duplicating user databases (Win NT SAM & Radius) which know nothing about each other and so far as we know cannot be "auto-synchronized".
Through a single login, Win NT SAM allows extensive control over which LAN resources each user can access, when he can access them, how many times he is allowed to enter a wrong password before being locked out... These mechanisms are not provisioned for in Radius, whose intended audience is totally different.
Using WINS, we were able to have WAN users (permanent xDSL or Frame Relay connections with connection profiles) use NT's SAM to authenticate to our network. We would like to be able to do the same for dial-up users, but have no clue where to start.
Thanks for any info.
Georges J. Jahchan, P. Eng.
General Technical Manager
& Intel Product Manager.