Re: CF: Dup'ing items

| > Ed Phillips (ed@udel.edu) wrote:
| > > There is a bug with 0.95.1 that if you do a 'save, then drop your
| > > items, then CTRL-C the client and start it up again, you will be
| > > start with your items intact.  Then you can go get the ones you
| > > dropped on the ground.  I expect this may be a "feature" of allowing
| > > players to saves their characters...
| >
| > No, it's an old bug in the client stuff --- it doesn't save your
| > character when the client exits. I'm suprised they left it in --- I
| > always considered it a fair feature to offset all the bugs in the
| > client implementation, but assumed that Mark had fixed it already.
| >
| > Christian
| >

| Acutally... the server shouldn't depend on the client to say "goodbye" and
| save and cleanup nicely and such.  Or maybe I'm misinterpreting what you
| are saying...

First `save' should not be needed any more, prehaps a DM command?
especially when you `enter' a new map.

Second, when the connection dies the character currently 'saved' on a
bed of reality should be adjusted to remove any items he `dropped'
before the connection was lost (with adjustments for items
moved into/out of sacks but still carried).

Don't coddle the player in the face of a `disconnection'.
No other game I know does this, but then few games are as
`long term'

The enter a new map autosave can get players stuck and require dm help
to get out. This happened to me in Yarid's house which seems to have a
bug I can't find between the dungeon and main enterence level. PS:
password is (Rot13 - to decode) ``punve''. This lack of password was one
of the scorn fixes for new release.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    http://www.sct.gu.edu.au/~anthony/
  Murphy said, "Constants aren't", and Murphy was apparently one of the
  gods of this universe.                  -- Rick Cook, ``Wizard's bane''
     PGP Public Key available -- finger -l anthony@lyrch.cit.gu.edu.au