Real Time Ascend Maling List Archive

Re: CF: 0.95.3 bugs (OR CHEATS)

Mark Wedel (mwedel@scruznet.com) wrote:

> > Hm... I seem to recall that you drop unpaid items when you die inside
> > a shop. Could somebody please verify this?
>
>  Code is in place to do it.  I assume it works, but didn't try it just now.

I saw it once (that's what I meant when I wrote the comment). Never tried
it (don't remember anyone getting killed inside a shop either... maybe
I should just wait for a newbie and shoot some fire at him when he's inside
the shop :-)

> if it crashes, clearing out the temp maps probably isn't a good thing.  The
> proper solution is to fix all the ways to crash the server.

Indeed. It's rather pointless to devise ways to prevent "cheating via
server crashing". It's rather difficult anyway, since we currently
know no way to _reliably_ crash the server. There are places that can
be used to increase the chance of a server crash (like connected
teleporters), though.

> > Not really. It takes a while to get 60 dragon scales (the location was
> > in Butakis castle, not pupland. I don't remember a power dragon mail
> > in pupland, but this doesn't mean much --- I already had a mithril
> > chainmail of winter when I explored pupland).

>  I am not positive, but I believe the end result was the armor got moved to the
> end of some quest, so you actually needed to have some skill to get it.

No, there were two changes:
- Mopoons power dragon mail (99 scales) got moved to the end of "some quest".
  It doesn't make sense to get it anymore (too difficult). The end of the
  same quest also got the dragonbane --- it looks like people just dump
  all items there :-)
- The 60 scales power dragon mail is now inside a shop, so you need 60 scales
  and a whole lot of money. Doesn't make sense to get that one either
  (too expensive).

There is still a map with reasonable (medium level --- demons, demon
lords, balrogs, big demon) monsters and a power dragon mail at the
end. That's the recommended place to get it, since it is reasonably
difficult for people still needing a power dragon mail, esp. if they
haven't done acid yet.

And while we're at it: don't ever waste money for a dragon mail ---
it's a random artifact, so you'll get one for free after a while.

> > > 5. There are streets made for avatars in brest where the EXP is lined up
> > > for you when you have the Avatar.
> >
> > Yep :-) That's the classic way to get a few levels of exp. It works
> > rather well between level 10 and 25 or so, but doesn't make much sense
> > beyond that. There is just one such map (so it's "street", not
> > "streets" :-)).
>
>  Is this the map where there is a very long corrider with a bunch of fairly high
> level monsters bunched up in such a way that some are trapped and no more than 1
> will ever attack you at one time?

Almost (the ten armies map). More than one of them is attacking (since
they just cast over the ones in front of them) though, if they can
reach you. However, all the monsters (even dragons, which are
generally considered to be very intelligent!) are extremely stupid in
crossfire, so they don't find the way to the player. The red dragons
in that map can't move, but the dreads and the green dragons can ---
but they are trying to run through the wall and don't find the way
around it. This is a problem in many maps (and actually helps quite a
bit in some places...).

Some commercial games such as WarCraft II have the same problem, though :-)

The ten armies the the classic place to get some low to medium exp; there
aren't very many maps in that range.

The wizard tower has such corridors as well.

Hm... talking about the wizard tower: one can no longer dimension door
into it (or out of it). If that is considered a bug fix --- fine. If
dimension door was a proper way to enter/exit the tower, it should be
"unfixed" (I suppose the special doors are now "damned"; so to allow
dimension door the door in question should be "damned 0").

While talking about the wizard tower another longstanding map bug
comes to mind: has "High Drow" finally be changed to give some exp? He
is a dark elf, with a lot of HP and SP, and actually quite dangerous,
but the map designers forgot to adjust the exp --- so he is a
dangerous killer which doesn't give any exp (in fact, you only get
the "<Player> killed High Drow", but not "You killed High Drow", for
the same reason).

Christian

--
Christian Stieber        http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~stieber