No Subject

________=22Re=3A_CF=3A_Races=2C_starting_cities=2C_word_of_recall=22_=28Ja?=
 =?iso-8859-1?Q?n_13=2C__2=3A08pm=29?=
Subject: Re: CF: Races, starting cities, word of recall

--PART-BOUNDARY=.19901131549.ZM18476.eng.pyramid.com

On Jan 13,  2:08pm, Rapha=EBl Quinet wrote:
`
> I was suggesting a new archetype because I thought that it would be
> easier to differentiate between "normal" and "special" altars.  My
> goal was to avoid the accidental usage of the special altars on the
> "normal" maps, and to make it easier to locate all special altars
> by simply grepping through the maps.

 Most special altars have unique images, so these special altars would be=

pretty obvious.  I am not positive if all specific god altars have specia=
images for themselves, but most do.

> Also, contrary to what Christian suggests in his mail, I think that
> these altars should be immune to the "consecrate" spell, and it is
> probably easier to enforce that with a new archetype, although the
> spell could of course check if the altar has the special flag set.

 I think it is reasonable that altars in the gods temple can not be
reconcentrated.  This is from a play perspective - you don't want some
malicous player to change all the altars in the starting temples to some =
other
god.

> Of course, one could argue that we should have two separate flags:
> one deciding if the altar can be (re-)consecrated or not, and one
> deciding if it updates the return point when a member of the
> appropriate religion prays over it.  But I think that the various
> combinations of these flags would only confuse the players.  It is
> better to make it clear that one can pray safely over some altars
> without having some side-effects.

 I think altars in the gods temple should always be safe (presuming you w=
orship
that god.)

 On an unrelated note - if temples for all the gods are set up in the mai=
cities, the random consecration of altars can be removed.  That was origi=
nally
added when gods were added so that there would be altars for the gods (it=
 was
basically and interim solution until appropriate maps could be made up).

 Now the random map code could perhaps get clever and set up some altars =
based
on the monster style or whatever.  But right now, having altars randomly
consecrated does not make a lot of sense.  However, it may be reasonable =
have these generic altars consecrated to a specific god.

 In fact, that could be a very reasonable enhancement - remove random
consecration.  Only altars not consecrated can be consecrated to a specif=
ic god
without any real penalty.  Re-consecrating an already consecrated god is =
likely
to generate at least some wrath from the god whose altar you are trying t=
reconsecrate (we could also store the level of the person who consecrated=
 the
altar, and you need to be higher level to change it for example.)

-- =

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com

--PART-BOUNDARY=.19901131549.ZM18476.eng.pyramid.com--