Re: CF: Map integration (was Dtabb land)

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Mark Wedel wrote:
>  My other thought is to get rid of the npc's that say nothing/do nothing.  As a
> player, it can be pretty frustrating talking to a bunch of people that are
> placed on a map to find out they have nothing to say.  If you find that the
> first bunch of people don't say anything, you may not see any reason to talk to
> others.  So the improvement in this area is to make the npc's that are out
> there either have something or say, or very unfriendly (don't respond when
> talked to or something.)

This means that all npc's on all maps would have to be updated.  This
is a lot of work, but you are right... something should be done with
all these npc's.

If possible, these "unfriendly" replies should be consistent for all
monsters, so that the player can immediately recognize the message as
the one meaning that nothing useful can be gotten from that npc.  This
also means that the archetypes and the editor pick maps would have
to be updated too, in order to be sure that all future maps contain
the same messages for the npc's.

One suggestion: improve the "probe" spell (which is rather useless for
the moment), so that if you are pointing at a friendly monster, it could
say something like "he has something to say to you" or on the contrary
"he is not interested in talking to you".  This could be done by checking
if the message field for that character contains more than two "@match"
statements, for example.  This is not an optimal solution, but maybe that
could help?

-Raphaël

P.S.: Thanks Mark for fixing the MIME replies in your mailer, and sorry
      for being the source of the problem.  ;-)