Re: [TCLUG:5229] Need Help

On Sun, 11 Apr 1999, Bud wrote:

> with PC's with Windows. I've got Linux Red hat 5.2 installed in another
> drive on my pentium 200. Im using system commander to try to boot to
> linux but it crashes on trying to load. I noticed that on the install of
> Red Hat it asked

Don't know, never used system commander.  Read the doucumentation on
setting up for dual boot with lilo.  Redhat installiation does a really
nice job at helping you through this.  Throw it on the MBR, have it
pointing at linux and windows.

> 3 questions 1. Is it ok to install Linux in the master boot record
> during the install if you have win 98 on your primary drive and LINUX on
> the secondary. Does it set its own dual boot? What will happen?

Yes.  LILO is a dual-booter.  Read the RedHat install documentation for
more info on setting up lilo on install.

> secondary drive but cant dual boot. System commander delux works fine
> with win 98 but cannot find Linux.  Never used system commander. So I
> dont know.

> 3. Can my Linux server be set up to on the internet as a webserver. How
> is this done? What type of equipment and connectivity do I need? I am

Well, if you want a www.whatever.com or something resemboling that you
need a few things.

A) Static IP.
	You can get this with xDSL, frame relay, isdn, t1/t3, and even
dialup.

B) Approiate Bandwidth
	What do you expect to use your site for?  What can you afford for
ISP services?  What else do you want to use your line for? Do you expect
to host a mega-commercial site that /cant/ go down at all costs or
something less formal?

C) Domain Name
	1) Registration
		With internic or some other authority.
	2) two (2) DNS servers
		There is a free service, but once again -- does
reliability totally matter, if so, set up two of your own.

D) Operating System
	You allready said Linux.

E) Webserver Daemon
	I say you check out Roxen Challenger or Apache.  Both of them are
excellent choices for a webserver.  Roxen is very IISesque in its
user-friendlyness.

Anyways, thats the scoop.  Perhaps internet connectivity should be a topic
sometime for a meeting (unless that was like 2 months ago and I just
didn't know ;) )

Scott Dier 		<dieman@ringworld.org>
Ringworld.Associates	efnet(#nicnac,#@,#minnesota)
612.494.6664		<page-dieman@ringworld.org>
in:linux,debian,mozilla/ngl,lanparties,highspeedbandwidth
out:modems,microsoft,ie,sleep(oops),fakeopensource
cool:gnome,postfix,imp,irssi,[gnome-]apt,procmail(!)