ssh - proxy

Hi,
	I'm trying to get ssh to go thru a proxy.  According to the man
page I should use the L and/or R flags and some parameters (or set these
in the config file).  It's not clear to me if I should use 1 or both
flags. I've tried a couple combinations but I'm not certain I'm passing
the right parameters with the flags anyway.
	Which paramter takes the proxy and it's port?  Am I supposed to
specify the port that sshd is running on in my computer?

Thanks,
Dan