Re: [TCLUG:7261] Assistance

Phil Mendelsohn wrote:

> Why would you suggest this?  Is it a matter of features or performance?
> What I really want is a Linux port of Quicken -- really a very simple
> app.  The other approach I'm considering is to dig out my old DOS
> version of Quicken and try it under an emulator.  I did notice that both
> gnucash and moneydancy support QIF imports, so that erases any bias I
> might have (provided both work!)

Definitely features. Java is a massive hog on every system I've ever used. This
is one of the few Java applications I have found where I'm willing to ignore the
sluggishness because of appealing features and functionality. Quicken would be
nice, but for me this is the best solution so far. Also, my needs are pretty
simple. . .Quicken might be overkill. I want to keep my balances straight and
have some way of seeing how I'm spending. Stocks, online banking, retirement
stuff--that's all more than I need now.

> I installed it and jdk 1.1.7 v3, set the directory in the script, and no
> error messages came up when I ran the script.  However, nothing else of
> interest happened either -- including any life in the 'top' window under
> any names that made sense.
>
> She turns over, but she won't start -- can someone give me a hint??

I'll have to download the latest and try it out to see if anything has changed.
I'd double check to make sure the Java executable is in your path (I installed
it into /usr/local/java/bin and have included that in my path). I have
Moneydance (the .jar file, the script to run it) installed into
/usr/local/moneydance. I set it up a long time ago, and running it in Window
Maker is transparent for me, so it might take me a while to figure out what I
did. :)

Cheers,
Joel

Joel A. Koepp			School: University of Minnesota
77 Bedford St. SE, Apt. 2	Email:	jkoepp@gustavus.edu
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3553	Web:	http://www.gustavus.edu/~jkoepp
Tel. 612.378.4812		Work:	Hennepin County Environ. Services