Re: [TCLUG:7329] X10 offer

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Joel A. Koepp wrote:

> I know I really can't afford to be buying modules at $10 a pop, but it's neat
> stuff. If you're using this extensively I'd like to hear what you're doing with
> it. Anyone get any of those graphical frontends to Bottlerocket or other X10
> software? The Qt one required Qt 2.0 (don't have it) and the GTK one I compiled
> crashed when you turned on a device--and made the mouse really choppy (probably
> an issue with reading/writing to ttyS0).

I got everything working perfectly fine, after about three days of not
realizing that my machine's one external serial port is in fact ttyS1 and
not ttyS0 (which I should've remembered from setting up my UPS and
PalmPilot, but I obviously wasn't thinking straight).

I'm using bottlerocket-0.04b, which works perfectly fine. Got a few scripts
setup to turn on and off the few modules I've got, which are mainly fans
here because my room tends to raise into the 95F range when there's no wind.

I've got the WindowMaker dock wmx10.app compiled and working fine as well,
but it's simply a frontend for bottlerocket. Since I don't use X, though, I
don't use it too much.

I haven't compiled BlueLava yet because I don't have enough modules to care
too much about it yet. ICYDK, BlueLava is a set of Perl scripts for your
webserver that allows control of your local BottleRocket. My neighbor across
the hall's significant other uses it for a few things, but I'm pretty sure
he's not on this list ;)

I mainly use the actual FireCracker serial module along with my little shell
scripts to allow some trusted users (friends, in other words) to blink the
lights on and off to get my attention if I'm not at the console (I can't
hear the system speaker usually).

--