RE: tclug-list Digest 15 Aug 1999 08:32:30 -0000 Issue 380

Tim wrote:

>> Well, it's nice that the install went well, but unfortunately now
>> that BootMagic is in place, when I select Linux I get a message
>> that OpenLinux is loading, and then the system hangs.
>Did you have LILO write to the MBR or to the first sector on the Linux
>drive? If you're using BootMagic, you can't write to the MBR. Of course,
>now that I think about it, if you'd written your LILO stuff to MBR,
>BootMagic wouldn't probably work at all. I've had much better luck with
>BootMagic when my Linux boot partition is a primary partition. It doesn't
>seem to like it if it's not.

OL 2.2 didn't give me the option of installing LILO to the MBR, but that's
the fix Caldera had on their support site -it's actually listed as a
problem with HP Pavilion boxen, but since my CTX has the same symptoms...
I'm going to take a swing at it and see what happens. Worst comes to
worst, I can be really crude and just boot up Linux off dev/fd0/.

Kevin Trainor
Wells Fargo Customer Accounting
612-667-7574
"There is a serious tendency toward capitalism
among the well-to-do peasants."
     -Mao Tse-tung

All opinions my own, not WFC's.