PHP Install (last try)

My machine's running Redhat 6.0 (some files have been updated).
PHP has been compiled into Apache so when I do a "httpd -l" the last entry
is "mod_php4.c" therefore it seems to be installed it just won't let me
pull up pages. I have to wonder if I'm missing something simple.

When I try to access a file called hw.php containing the following:

<?php
$message = "Hello, World!";
echo $message;
?>

I get this message:

"You have started to download a file of type application/x-httpd-php Click..."

I've followed all the suggestions in the PHP FAQ but none help. Has someone
here run into anything similar?  Any ideas at all for what to try next?

We need to get this going so our webguy can get to work on it. If noone has
any other suggestions for what to try, does anyone know where I could find
somebody to come out and give us a hand with it? (Paid work obviously.)  I
guess I can just start calling ISPs.

We're also going to need SSL on this box. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I know people have said good things about mod_ssl here but as a relatively
inexperienced unixer are there any easier (but more expensive) solutions or
am I just going to have to dive in headfirst?

Thanks,
Brady