Re: [TCLUG:10969] GNOME configuration questions/musings

On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 03:34:02PM -0600, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> >         do you suppose libGGI could help that? I think it'll be interesting
> > to see what things are like 18-24 mos. down the road, when GGI and Berlin
> > are much more mature.
>
> GGI is more ment for direct framebuffer control, bypassing any GUI
> toolkits...
>
> > of course, you can always switch to a virtual console. :)
> > I'm sure there's a way to get an application to automatically launch to a
> > VC... I think you'd still have to <alt>+Fn back to the wm, tho.
>
> <rant>
> Linux really needs video drivers integrated into the kernel. Having
> Xfree running root, banging hardware from userland is Not The Right
> Thing. The framebuffer support is a good start, but realistically
> it's not going to replace Xfree's current setup until it supports
> full* acceleration functions on as many cards, as well as 3D
> support...

	I'm guessing that one of the problems with this is that it's
difficult to come up with some kind of abstract way of talking about the
functions a videocard supports.

	This is largely because the technology is in such a state of
flux that functions move back and forth between the CPU and the card
with wild abandon, and that even the set of possible functions changes
drastically from card to card.

	I may be completely off base here.  This is just my impression
from catching various peripheral (no pun intended) discussions about
video cards, video card drivers, and their idiosyncrasies.

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
Its name is Public Opinion.  It is held in reverence. It settles everything.
Some think it is the voice of God.  Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet

PGP signature