RE: [TCLUG:11227] learning perl/python

I learned Perl and TCL/Tk through finding short, interesting open-source
projects and modifying them to suit my evil schemes.  For Perl it was the
ElizaIRC chatbot project, and for TCL/Tk it was hlds_l_admin, which is a
tool for automating a Linux Half-life dedicated server.  When I got stumped
I did a web search (yay Google!) for answers.  In both cases I ended up
buying a book to help with regular expressions: "Learning Perl" by O'Reilly,
and "TCL and the Tk Toolkit" by John Ousterhout (who wrote the language).

--
Carl Patten