Re: [TCLUG:11239] Appletalk

Christopher Palmer wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Adam Maloney wrote:
>
> > Of course MacOs doesn't support the 2 most common, standard forms of
> > file sharing (ftp and NFS).
>
> It's not the job of Mac OS to support FTP. Does your Linux kernel have FTP
> support built-in?

No, the kernel doesn't - but every version of linux I've ever used has
come with an FTP client

> > Oh sure, it supports ftp...except that fetch, the program that has been
> > distributed with MacOS forever,
>
> Fetch has never been distributed with Mac OS. Are you sure you're using
> the latest version of Fetch? Is there a reason you can't also try out some
> other FTP client for Mac OS?

Every macintosh here has fetch on it, I'm not a macintosh guru, but it
certainly seems like it comes on the MacOs CD because I don't remember
any of the designers going out and downloading it.

> > So I try netatalk.  Netatalk 1.33 won't compile on any of my slack-7
> > systems.  netatalk 1.42b2 compiles after quite a lot of screwing with
> > it, but segfaults when I run atalkd.  It does seem to work under slack4,
> > but I need 7 because it's glibc (mmm...glibc).
>
> glibc is not a reason to need Slack 7. Why don't you use Slack 4?
In this case it is...IBM Webshpere only supports: redhat, AIX, NT and
solaris.  I don't have any non-i386 machines here, which leaves me with
NT or redhat.  I would certainly not want to run redhat as a server, so
I was able to force the install to run on slackware.  It's not open
source, it only supports glibc under linux, not libc5

> > Redhat is out of the question - actually any other distribution is
> > pretty much out of the question. It took a lot of screwing with IBM
> > Websphere to get it to run under slackware (it only supports redsmack)
> > and I'm not prepared to play with it to get it to work with non-redhat
> > or non-slackware distros.
>
> I appreciate your need to be an elitist, but maybe your attitude is
> harming those whom it's your job to serve? Just guessing here.

for one, I'm a bofh, what can I say?  secondly, it's not my job to
invent new ways to share files - it's been done over and over again.
The standard ways seem to be FTP and NFS.  It has nothing to do with my
hatred for the macintosh, it's my contempt towards my cow-orkers.  The
boss insists that FTP is out of the question because it's "too
inconvenient" for the mac designers.  It's 2 extra keystrokes/mouse
clicks to drag files out of fetch and into a local folder and
back...versus the hours I've wasted working on this today. I believe
this job should fall into the hands of the designers, they should find
the most convenient way to download the files that they need.
Convenience is irrelevant...it's more convenient for me to have them
just FTP everything - so why do they get special treatment?

I don't want to start a flame war or an OS war - MacOS has it's merits,
and it's hardware beats intel in a heartbeat...I just want some
suggestions to solving my problem.  So if I offended any macintosh users
in my original post, my apologies.  I've been working on this all day
and I've got many other things that are more important.

> > Is netatalk the only program for linux that does this?  has anyone seen
> > a mac NFS client (that would be ideal...but I'm having NO luck).
>
> netatalk is the only AppleTalk file server for Unix that I happen to have
> heard of. What research have you done so far to find others?
>
> Did you search on Google for an NFS client for Mac OS? I found several
> promising-looking links.
I haven't found anything besides netatalk yet. I did find about 4 or 5
NFS clients for mac, but  1 of them was bought by Ascend, and then
lucent - who have abandonded it.  The others have all been abandoned as
well.  I haven't found a single one that I could actually download and
use yet.  I was able to find a list of them, and I checked each one out
and none of them are supported anymore.  We are all finding it very hard
to believe that no companies are developing anything like this right
now.  With the recent explosion in popularity for the mac (with the
iwhack and such) there should be more demand for mac/unix connectivity.

So I've got Appletalk working now - I recompiled with appletalk directly
in the kernel, instead of as a module.  But now IBM WebShit is broken...
oh well.

Thanks for everyone's help (Chris & Chris)