Re: [TCLUG:3909] Erasing Linux, going back to Windows

Christopher Palmer wrote:
> 2. What does a dual-boot Linux/Win95 /etc/lilo.conf file look like?

Here's mine. Two linux kernels (old and new) and one windows drive.

#Start LILO global section
boot = /dev/hda
#compact        # faster, but won't work on all systems.
delay = 300
vga = normal    # force sane state
# ramdisk = 0     # paranoia setting
# End LILO global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /vmlinuz
  root = /dev/hda1
  label = linux
  read-only # Non-UMSDOS filesystems should be mounted read-only for checking
# Linux bootable partition config ends
image = /vmlinuz.old
  root = /dev/hda1
  label = old
  read-only # Non-UMSDOS filesystems should be mounted read-only for checking
# Linux bootable partition config ends
# DOS bootable partition config begins
other = /dev/hda4
  label = win
  table = /dev/hda
# DOS bootable partition config ends

> 3. Are there any precautions I should take so that Windows doesn't try to
> eat my Linux partitions?

Unplugging the hard drive seems to be the only fool proof way I can think of. I did have a win95 install completely destroy my linux partitions once. It sucked.

Hans
--
Hans D Umhoefer (spudling@acm.cs.umn.edu)