Re: [TCLUG:4167] DIALD & IP Forwarding

Hello all:

Scott K. Johnson <skj@visi.com> wrote (in part):

> My experience with IP Forwarding and dial on demand is that the
> first request triggers the modem to dial and connect, and that
> first connection request almost always times out.
>
> I'm thinking it is something to do with the time it takes for the
> modem to dial, connect and establish a ppp connection...

That it may, but it doesn't have to.  :-)

IANANetworkAdmin, but my understanding is that if the "triggering"
request is a name resolution request (for your non-static IP account),
everything can be OK.

If the triggering request is, say, an FTP request, the first packet
goes out with your default (bogus) system IP address.  The resulting
PPP (or whatever) connection clobbers your bogus default IP address,
so the response to that first packet can't get back to your machine,
because its address is different.

IIRC, the solution is to empty out your /etc/hosts so that the first
packet out the door is a DNS request.

ISTR that a better explanation (written by One Who Knows) is in the
Diald FAQ.

Peace,
John