Re: [TCLUG:7046] Need more help with NTP

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Mike Glaser wrote:

> One more thing, on the client side of things, do I have to use
> ntpdate to set my clock and then run it every hour or two, or would
> running nptd do essentially the same thing for the clients?

It could do the same thing.  ntpdate is supposed to be used when the
clock's way off.  You run it manualy before setting up ntpd.

Running ntpd is supposed to be better than running ntpdate from cron.  If
the network goes down and the client can't poll the server, ntpd will keep
adjusting your clock based on how fast and in what direction it had been
drifting in the past.  There are more advantages.

Also, ntpd won't adjust your clock if it's too far off.

That's what I remember from the documentation but... We actualy run
ntpdate from cron on our fake Linux boxen.  When we tried ntpd the time
would jump back (or fourth) and sometimes cron jobs would be started twice
(that's scary).  Instead we set cron to run ntpdate at a time in the hour
far away from other jobs.

Carlos