Re: [TCLUG:6233] Builing A System

Your mainboard will depend upon which processor you want.  Either way,
I'll agree with the others on the list, ASUS makes a good board.  Really,
you can't go wrong with ASUS, ABIT, TYAN, or FIC.  The chipsets you'll
probably want to watch for are the Intel and VIA chipsets.  Read up on the
differences at Tom's Hardware web site (http://www.tomshardware.com).

You'll definitely want to take advantage of the AGP slot and PC100
memory.  I haven't seen the K6-3's perform yet, but I hear they rock.  I'm
using a plain old K6 200 that I bought in '97 on an FIC motherboard
w/PC100 memory clocked down to 66 MHz.  Personally, I like the IBM
harddrives, but Seagate isn't so bad.  Just shop around and make sure you
refer to your hardware compatibility lists.

Good Luck!

Chewie